Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The fat squirrel

My kids' schools are only about two miles or so from my house. On my way home from dropping them off this morning, I had at least five squirrels run across the road in front of me. One of them was so fat, I didn't think he was going to make it. As the temperature drops, I am sure those squirrels are gathering the last of their nuts to store up for the winter. They are making last minute preparation for the season.



As winter approaches, I find myself doing the same thing. I am closing windows and making sure the doors are draft proof. We store up wood for the stove, rushing out to get one more load to make sure we have enough to last. I get out all of our winter clothes. I make sure that everyone has hats, gloves, coats, boots and snow pants that fit. This year, I am making sure the kids have extra gloves because they will inevitably lose the first pair.



With the holidays coming up, there is yet another reason for me to scurry about like a fat little squirrel. I have already begun my Christmas shopping. I am trying to figure out what goodies I will be making for my neighbors. And where did I put my wrapping paper? Do I need more? Oh goodness, I hope I don't need more!



I have a group of girlfriends that I pray with. One of these ladies has written some devotions for us to work on during the Holidays. They are a constant reminder to me of how I really need to prepare for this time of year. What are the really important things I need to store-up?



When I prepare for winter, I have to look forward to many gloomy and grey days. Depression and cabin fever will almost positively overtake me at some point. How can I prepare? I have Bible verses at hand. I will post them around my home. I have a plan in place consisting of girlfriends, playdates, and a little "me-time". I have "snowed in" activities ready to go when my kids and I are bored. But most of all, I have my quiet time alone with God. His light is the only way for me to beat the winter blues.



When I prepare for the Holidays, I want to remember what I am celebrating. It's not about shopping and eating. Although, those are a fun part of it all. I am going to try my best this year to not let it overtake me. Thanksgiving and Christmas are all about giving. I was challenged by a friend when she asked me for ideas on how to show the love of Christ during these months of festivities. What does my family do to celebrate the real reason for the season? She knows we go to church and read about the birth of Christ. But how are we actually living it out? (I'll have to share my ideas on this one in a seperate blog.)



I just want you to think today about the coming change in our lives. How will you prepare like the squirrels? What are you choosing to "store up" this holiday and winter season? How will you survive?



Again, I want to encourage many of you to share your comments. You are all amazing moms and you all have great ideas. We could use them.

No comments: