Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Wisdom and Discipline

So, I am stuck on this topic of discipline. I guess it's because my kids are driving me insane!!! I am really struggling with them obeying and doing basic things that I ask. So, I am re-evaluating how I discipline, because what I am currently doing is obviously not working. This morning I was struck by several scripture references that use the words "wisdom" and "discipline" side-by-side.


Proverbs 1:7
Proverbs 12:1
Proverbs 15:31
Proverbs 23:23
Psalm 105:22 (teaching and discipline)
Psalm 94:12 (teaching and discipline)

When I read these verses, I ask myself, "When I discipline my children, am I teaching them God's laws?" To be perfectly honest, the answer to that is, "no". I am usually just mad. And I am trying to think of appropriate punishments that will make them remember to never ever disobey me again!! (note the "me" and the anger in my response. I'm working on it. Someday I will get it right. That's why this blog is here.)

I am not thinking about what my kids need to learn from their choices. I am not thinking about how God would want them to respond. I am not teaching wisdom. I am going about this whole discipline thing all wrong.

Today when I discipline my children, I will take the time to teach them wisdom from God's Word. Today will be a day filled with joy and not punishment.

Hopefully, I can remember to do this again tomorrow, and the next day, and the next....

No comments: