Monday, September 22, 2008

Cooking Dinner for God

As moms, we often don't get the recognition we deserve. Every once in a while I might get a "thanks mom", but that's about it.

Dinner time is most frustrating for me. My kitchen philosophy is, "if it takes longer than 20 minutes to prepare, it doesn't get made." So, I don't typically spend a lot of time cooking. But I do take the time to experiment with new recipes, go shopping and try to make things that everyone will enjoy. It is inevitable, no matter what I make, someone in my family will sit down at the table and say, "I don't like this." You don't even know if you don't like it. And even if we all know that you don't like... FINE!!! DON'T EAT IT! (can you see where my anger issues come into play here??) I try to teach my kids to be thankful for what they have, but they don't care. They don't like it and they must announce it to the world. I think it's time to pack up their dinner and send it to the starving children in Africa.

I went off on a little tangent there. Sorry. To the point... One of my jobs as a mom is to serve my children. I am not talking about waiting on my children hand and foot. I do want them to become self-sufficient before they turn 30. Cooking dinner comes to mind because this is an act of service that I enjoy. It is something that my kids are unable to do yet and it is a need that must be met. I love to serve my family in this way. I don't expect recognition. Although it is nice when my children thank God in their sweet little prayers for a mommy who makes such a yummy dinner. But then, as soon as they open their eyes they say "Eeeeeewwwww! Yuck. What's this?"

OK, another tangent. I promise to get on with this.

It is selfless to serve. That is where my problem lies. I know that no service, especially the service of a mother, goes unnoticed or even unappreciated by our God. So why do I get so upset when I don't receive the praise I think I deserve? Why do I even care if my kids are unhappy with the dinner menu? Because it's all about me, me, me! (note the sarcasm)


Galatians 1: 10 popped into my head today. Who am I really serving? Am I serving God or man? By golly, I am serving God. I do not make yummy dinners to please my children and have them tell me every night what a wonderful chef I am. I am cooking dinner for my God. Because it makes Him happy to see me serve my family in a selfless way, with or without their approval.

I am an example to my children just like Jesus is an example for me. He served without complaint no matter what was asked of Him (John 13:14-15, 17 is just one example). To live for God is to serve others. This is what I want my kids to see in my life, even if the "others" complain nonstop and are never content with what I give them!

Maybe I should make it a "pizza and ice cream night" tonight.


Something to think about (and maybe share with the rest of us)...
In your role as mom, how do you serve God?

Is it worth the lack of recognition?

Why?

No comments: