Thursday, September 4, 2008

God's Will for Moms

I have come to a place in my life where I know that I cannot be like other moms~ particularly moms in magazines or on TV. I realize that I am showing my age, but...


When I think of mom's in our media, I think about Peggy from the TV show "Married with Children". What a terrible example of a mother. I realize that was the purpose of her role, but still, it glorified her as a mom. I am also reminded of June Cleaver. Could I ever live up to her standards as the perfect American mother? Why do I compare myself to these women? Is that really what God wants for me? No.


Romans 12:2 says, "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is - his good, pleasing and perfect will."


I don't want to be any other mom than the mom that God intended me to be. So who is that woman exactly?? I know for a fact that I don't want and God doesn't want me to be a "Peggy" or a "June". I could never even attempt to look as good as Julia Roberts after twins. So what is God's will for me as a mom?


God wants me to renew my mind, to change my way of thinking as a mother. I will no longer look at mom's in our culture and try to be like them. I need to be transformed. I will not be like the mom's who have conformed to the patterns of this world. I don't even want to be the same mother that I have been in my own past. I want to be changed. I want to be renewed by God's Word. I want to be a new mom, a better mom, the mom that God has designed me to be.


I Thessalonians 4:3 tells me that God's will for me is to be sanctified, to be holy. I am to be set apart and different from other moms, and my children should be able to see this in me. God wants me to be like Christ. In I Thessalonians 5:16-18, God tells me again exactly what His will for my life is. God's wants me to be joyful. His will is for me is to pray all the time (for my kids, for my marriage, for my sanity). And God wants me to be thankful for everything~ good and bad.


So to sum it all up... God's will for me as a mom is to be transformed, to be renewed, to be sanctified, to be holy, to be Christ-like, to be joyful, to pray continually, and to give thanks. That's it. It's that basic. I can do that.


Dear Jesus~ Will you please transform me as a mother? Will you make me and mold me into a new mom, a better mom, the mom you have created me to be? I am willing. Show me how! Let me hear your voice throughout this day and respond to the calling you have given to me. Thank you Lord. Thank you.

No comments: