Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Passion

I read a quote today...

"Success (Passion) is waking up in the morning, whoever you are, wherever you are, however old or young, and bounding out of bed because there's something out there that you love to do, that you believe in, that you're good at- something that's bigger than you are and you can hardly wait to go at it again today. It is something you'd rather be doing than anything else. you wouldn't give it up for money, because it means more to you than money." Whit Hobbs

I love this quote and I plan on posting it somewhere in my house. It got me thinking this morning. Do I feel this way about motherhood? Am I a passionate, successful mom? A while ago, I would have had to say no. But God has since given me a passion and desire to be the mom that He intends me to be. I have been on a quest to truly understand God and me and this whole mommy thing. And here I am, passionate about something that I used to loathe. I love seeing my children's faces first thing in the morning. I love planning out our days and our weekends together. I can't wait for my oldest son to get off the bus and eat cookies with him and listen all about his playground battles with friends.

My favorite Bible verse concerning my children is I Samuel 1:27. I prayed for each of my children. I wanted kids more than anything in the world. Why? I'm not sure I could have answered that question before I gave birth to our first son, but my heart's desire at that time was to have a family complete with kids. And God granted me my heart's desire. He gave me exactly what I prayed for each time. Even our foster daughter was an answer to prayer. So when did that desire for kids fade and turn into apathy? Why did I spend so many of my mothering years in a funk? Maybe it all happened when I became more concerned about me and how tired I was or what others were thinking when my boys misbehaved in public. When my desires turned away from God's desires, I lost my passion~ quickly.

To be honest, I don't always jump out of bed to greet my children with a happy face. For those of you who know me well enough, you know that I am NOT a morning person. But I am seeking God's desires for me as a mom and I am loving every minute of it. I am good at it. It is so much bigger than me and I can hardly wait to go out and do it again today. I'd rather be a mom right now than anything else in the world and I would never, never, not ever, trade this job for any amount of money.

Something to think about (and maybe share with the rest of us)...
1. What are your passions?

2. Are they God's passions as well?

3. How do you know?

No comments: