Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Simplify

I have been trying to simplify my life for a while now. It all started when we moved from the fast pace of a big city to the slower walk of a small town. When we lived in Jacksonville, Florida, we were constantly on the go to school, work, sports and church activities. Five years ago, when we moved to upstate New York, we spent an entire year practicing saying "no" to any major responsibilities. We spent the year simply enjoying our family and slowing our pace. It was the absolute best year of our marriage/family. Very soon after this time though, we began working more and looking for ways to get involved in our community and church. It didn't take us long to begin running again. Our lives quickly spiraled out of control.

My good friend Gina has reminded me over the years to "simplify". In fact, her entire ministry (DeepStream- http://www.streamthoughts.blogspot.com/) revolves around simplifying our lives to better serve Christ. Over the past few months I have begun the purging process to get back to a simpler lifestyle. I quit my job. I cut back on my ministry responsibilities at church. I stopped going out to every women's get together I could find. And I began focusing my time and energy on my family. I often ask myself "Why am I choosing to do this activity? And is this really what God wants me to be doing with my time?" I am usually doing something because society tells me I have to, like having my kids involved in every sport during every season. God wants me to spend quality time with my kids. He doesn't intend for me to be yelling at them "Hurry up and eat! Get your shoes! Where's your soccer ball? Go! Go! Go! We're going to be late!!"

The word "simplify" keeps coming to my mind. When times are rough, take a break. Sit back and breathe. Slow down. Simplify. I came across this idea in Haggai 1:5-9. I especially like 7 & 9, "Give careful thought to your ways... My house remains in ruins while each of you is busy with his own house." Am I too busy with my own life to serve my God in the ways He has intended for me??

I want to encourage you to simplify your life. You don't have to move to another town and start all over. You don't have to give up everything. Just ask yourself, "Am I doing too much? Am I able to take care of the responsibilities that God has given to me?" You could start with something small, like only doing the dishes at the end of the day rather than after every meal. It may be bigger, like stepping down from a leadership position that is taking too much time away from your family.

I would love to hear ways that you have simplified your life and how God has blessed you through that change.

Simply, Karin

No comments: